Eagle’s Wings began in the fall of 1989 following a series of community meetings designed to investigate the need for food assistance in Beaufort County. Three conclusions were reached:
1. Significant need existed due to the large percentage of the community living at or below poverty level.
2. Immediate steps should be taken to alleviate hunger for this population.
3. A cooperative faith-based ministry would be more effective than individual, isolated efforts.
Eagle’s Wings began assisting the population of Beaufort County on December 14, 1989, through the facilities of Trinity Episcopal Church in Chocowinity, NC, with funding provided by Southern Baptist Convention Hunger Funds through First Baptist Church of Chocowinity. Several moves ensued, and the facility is now located at 932 West Third Street in Washington, NC, which we purchased in December 2007.
In 2011, we converted our facility to a “Client’s Choice” warehouse where clients are able to select their own food items, assuring their dignity and reduced operational waste.
During the fall of 2017, we expanded our operations to include a satellite location south of the Pamlico River in an impoverished, landlocked community whose nearest grocery store is 30 minutes away.
Our working Board of Directors, volunteers and staff continue to look for opportunities to expand our services. We are fervent in our efforts to alleviate hunger for our neighbors in Beaufort County.
To alleviate hunger for our neighbors in Beaufort County.
What We've Achieved
- Alleviated hunger for thousands of families across all portions of Beaufort County
- WIKids program to help supplement the nutritional needs of infants, toddlers, and expectant mothers
- Client's Choice Pantry
- Access to fresh produce and meats
- Nutritional & Cooking classes for clients